Monday, June 10, 2013

Not for the Faint of Heart


This is Pascal, my brother-in-law, my husband’s sister’s husband.  Pascal is a butcher and caterer, and is an all-around nice guy. He and Annie own and run a gite  (a room for special events and rooms upstairs to stay overnight) and a second butcher shop. Very busy people.  
But when we visited him on Saturday, Pascal was not too busy to stop and come around the counter to give me a kiss hello, or to wait on his mother-in-law (wise man, after all).  While she gave him our order, I took the liberty of taking some photos of things one would not find in the U.S., even if we still had such things as butcher shops.

Rabbit is, after all, in season.  Here’s how it comes for us ("lapin").













And here’s how Enzo, cousin Marie-Claire’s Brittany Spaniel, has his. 
Fortunately, we had already eaten our very appetizing meal and taken a lovely walk around Marie-Claire’s farm before Enzo found his meal. My son was fascinated, and when I couldn’t suppress a shudder, he exclaimed, “that’s nature, Mom!”


















Marie-Claire invited family and friends for a Sunday lunch that lasted from 1:00 p.m. until 8:30 p.m.  She also showed us the chairs she’s been upholstering, and took everyone’s blood pressure with her electronic cuff.  My husband’s family has a quirky sense of humor.













And, then, my lovely son decided to take a walk through the very wet wheat.  He was soaked to the skin.  Boys.


Today I’m getting ready for my trip to the south.  Let’s hope it’s better weather; it’s been cloudy, rainy, cold and damp here.

4 comments:

  1. Can she take my blood pressure, too? Great photo of Gael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of G in the field!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have several butcher shops down here in lower Central. Morgan's Meat Market in Mattoon, and it is fantastic. Also, Nuxoll's Meats in Effingham. Dutch Valley(?)Meats near Arthur is also pretty good and once a year they make Ring Bologna that is outstanding. They are harder to find, but there are still butcher shops around that are worth making a special trip to.


    ReplyDelete